Thursday, August 4, 2011

A home is only as good as it's closets....

Hard to believe, but this life of being a retail slave for the past ten or so years, has given me quite the closet. I am not saying that it is all amazing but it is vast, large, and growing! I have a love hate relationship with the whole thing but it is something that I am not ready to downsize quite yet... but soon I may. Something in the works :).
Ok really this post should have nothing to do with my bad habits or more so addictions, but the mini. In the quest for our home, my ONE and only ONE main concern and actually request was that the closets be able to hold my gems. Is that so hard to ask? I have had those stinky slider closets in every home these days and it really does nothing for me. I have to replace the hanging bars with in 6 months and continue to have buckets of things everywhere. Why can't every home be made with walk in bedroom closets? It is a hard thing to find, and my request was not really a deal breaker when it came to the actual buy of the house. WOMP WOMP.
But we do have some pretty sweet built in's! Let me show you!


Cute right? HA hahahah! I know it looks really little but it actually fits quiet a bit! I am not saying that EVERYTHING that I have is in just our bedroom closet, oh no no no ... I have taken over the guest one as well as the hall but Jared didn't listen. OK, really what this is about is how we gave them a little bit of a face lift to go along with the color palette of the whole house.




SO they are slider doors to open, with a cabinet top and two sliding drawers at the bottom. When you first take a glance it doesn't look that big like i said but it is.
See I fit standing up! Because I am so tall I know it is really hard to believe but here I am. I love that the first owner or whoever added these hooks along the back as well as the side! They have come in handy to store all of my belts in eyes view to see what I have to choose from!
The top part also looks a little deceiving. I really should have taken a photo of how deep it is, but maybe in the future. Let me just tell you, it holds my entire boot collection of 32 pairs as well as all of my boxed shoes!!! Yes I keep many of my shoes in the original boxes to keep them pretty. I just write what they are on the front so they are a little easier to find. Do it to save the shoe!
Ok so we had to paint the interior because it was dingy and old and we just did that white.


We started by taping off the outer molding and painting it a dark brown to look like a real dark woody brown. Before we did that, we made sure to remove each of the doors as well as drawers. See you can see a little of how deep the top really is! Swear I could sleep up there!

Each square of the closet was taped of as well so we could paint them different pop colors from around the house.

We also painted the doors and drawers pop colors .

Alright.... So this is the guest closet... Not the finished product, but it shows the steps we took as a whole.

Guest room completed! We only chose to leave one square white ... I really don't like white. When i wear it I feel dirty and so I stay away from the color all together...
Because we did not want each square to be a solid color, Jared added squares of luan which is a really thin wood. He chose two colors of stain and left one natural. It gives it a little more raw look and not so color blocked. Plus we really like the look of wood.

And here is the master! You can tell that we used the room color in each room to pop the drawers at the bottom as well as one square with in the 6 on the main doors.
It added so much to each room and I LOVE IT! It also goes along with some of the other pieces Jared has mad around the house... pictures to come in the future so stick with me!!!

3 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite, most envious parts of the mini!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys! I have really good friends :) Oh and you know you can always contract Jared out to do it for you too for the mere price of a 12 pack of diet coke!

    ReplyDelete